Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Don't F**k with the Poker Dealers or New Poker Players

This is my number one rule in the poker room. Sure, there are all kinds of quirky etiquette and form rules to playing poker but this rule is more important to me than any other.

First, don't pick on, ridicule, criticize or otherwise make uncomfortable anyone who is new to playing poker in a public setting (not at the dining room table). There are good reasons for this part of my rule, basic respect and politeness and that's good enough for most of us. There are others though, who consider their perceived poker playing superiority an excuse for this type of bad behavior I have this to say, "This is just bad poker". If a player is new and nervous they probably are going to make mistakes and if you are a good player you should be smiling as you collect their chips. I've also found that the nicer and more helpful I am to a new player, the more likely they are to tell me their thinking about their cards. This gives me a great advantage in playing against them, again more profit for me. Most importantly, those of us who play regularly NEED more people to play and preferably people who are not as good or skilled as we are, so we want them to come back...until of course they start out playing us!

Second part of the rule is about how you treat the dealers. They are at work, they are simply turning over cards and facilitating the game. They are NOT there to be your friend, help you win, or be your personal punching bag. Would you blame the teller at the bank if you ran out of money? Would you blame the grocery cashier because you forgot to buy milk? I bet not, so be polite, be respectful. Pay attention to your cards and fellow players, this will be of much more benefit to you than being an A$$ to the Dealers. Last, tip if you are winning. It's rude boorish behavior to pile up your winnings and not tip the dealers. I have seen players give a $2 tip to the cocktail server who brought them a $5 drink and then win $300 in a tournament and walk away without tipping the dealers..uncool.

Happy New Year everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Melena!

    There is one comment that you left out that I have seen over and over again. Just because a poker player has been playing a long time, doesn't make that player a superior one. Sometimes a new player has a better grasp of poker things than an old one.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Sister! There are those Dealers, who will stop a muck, and put their hands over the cards, when they are thrown in, and tell the player, not to do that only check. I do think the player should know this, and not have Poker lessons at the table from the Dealer. I'm afraid of new players, they always have Beginner's luck! Good luck! Cindy

      Delete
    2. Cindy, I used to be one of those players. If the Dealers hadn't done that for me in the beginners tourneys I would have never continued the game. Fortunately I am a quick study and had an amazing tutor. I wish Little Creek would start them up again but there were too many old timers treating the new ones like they didn't belong so they had to quit.

      Delete
  2. So happy to be learning! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next blog!
    Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sing it sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, my 2 cents on this issue of dealers. When we are "in the box" and in charge of the table we are to help new players learn without breaking the rules. I have had many new players not understand what a check meant so I try to inform them and help them learn so they will come back and become a regular. That is in our job description. We try everything we can to inform and educate them without breaking any of the hard and fast rules. Once I have informed them and they continue with the wrong actions than they are on their own.
    Now a big THANK YOU to you, Melena, for pleading our case as poker dealers. We work long hard hours to keep everything straight at the tables.Yes sometimes we mess up but than so do the players. It's ok,we all make mistakes but it does bother me when people think we have any control over what cards come up. Some bad beats I deal pain me just as hard as they do the loser of the hand. I personally have always worked in a tipping job and I have a hard and fast rule I live buy and have taught my children....If you can afford to go out to dinner, go to the movies, or gamble than you can afford to tip the people that help make that experience a good one. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete