Saturday, January 26, 2013

Am I shrinking before your eyes?

I am quite aware of how many pounds the scale says I have lost since I had my weight loss surgery in December. I am also quite aware of what my highs and lows have been in my weight over my adult life. What is interesting to me is other people's perspective of my weight loss since they became aware I have had surgery.

I have heard the following comments in the last week.
" I can't believe how skinny you are getting"
" you must have lost 50lbs by now"
" your shrinking before our eyes"
" I bet you feel so much better now that your thinner"

I smile and say Thank You. If the conversation persists I tell people I am focusing on my health goals, which is true. But I think it's an interesting thing that people believe they are seeing these dramatic changes, that are not there, just based on the knowledge I have had this surgery.

The reality is, my blood pressure, blood sugars related to my pre surgery diabetes and my standing heart rate are all improved without the assistance of medications I took pre-surgery. My BMI is now .4 away from moving me out of the "morbidly obese" category and into the "obese category"

But all that said, I haven't lost as many pounds as I would have liked by now, I haven't even lost the amount my Surgeon and nutritionist expected I would in the first month. This has been frustrating to me and challenged my belief in my own ability to be successful in this process. I have said to myself, how can I have taken this most extreme step to address my weight issues, and still not succeed.

In the end I know in a logical way that this is a process, that everybody has their own path and mine is in front of me and I will walk it with the challenges that it presents me. Success is attainable and only I can define success for me.

4 comments:

  1. Great column, Melena. You are going to rock this surgery. That first month is rough ... and the scale lies, trust me. What matters more than anything is how your body feels. Obviously your health is improving, which is WONDERFUL!! The key with the scale is to use it as a guide, but trust more what your clothing tells you. And it WILL. You're doing great. Keep up the good work! I see your walking, and that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know our society is appearance driven, but the fact that you are healthier is, as you say, the most important. What I have found is that if you do that, you will lose weight as collateral damage. I am glad that you are going to be with us longer - skinny I don't care much about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting healthy, and the weight loss will come, being healthy is more important. You are an inspiration to me, no matter how you look, or what you weigh. You go girl, you are doing awesome, alot better than some of us, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melena, you have made improvements. The improvements to your BMI and blood sugars are major. Something many people do not realize is weight is not always a good indicator in the beginning. Your body is redistributing itself. That is the reason it appears that you have lost so much. I have noticed but I also know you are being inundated by comments so have refrained from saying anything.

    You seem very preoccupied lately. I miss your ready smile. Don't lose your sparkle and everything will be ok.

    ReplyDelete