Friday, January 11, 2013

I am eating how many calories???

Tuesday was the end of my third week since my gastric sleeve weight loss surgery.  I started thinking that day, "I wonder how many calories I am eating a day?".  Being a experienced dieter I was used to this being a constant question when every I was on one of the various diets though out my life.  After surgery the nutritionist and Dr. did not talk to me about calories.  They said Drink 60- 80 ounces of fluids and make sure you get 60 grams of Protein in you day.  So that is what I have been doing.

This is alone is a harder task than it might seem because I can only consume in either food or liquid 2 to 3 ounces at a time.  It is also important that I not drink liquid 30 minutes pre and post eating solid food.  In a 10-14 hour day this alone is quiet a challenge. My day kind of looks like, eat wait 30 minutes drink, wait an hour, eat, and repeat until bed time.

Back to my original question just how many calories am I consuming.  I decided to start tracking what I ate using a smart phone application called "Lose It".  I had used this App before when trying to lose weight and was familiar with it.  The basic idea is you put in your current weight and your weight loss goal and then it gives you a calorie budget that is supposed to help you reach that goal.  I have been tracking for 3 days now and I was shocked at the results.  .  See below the screen shots of my last three days.  Keep in mind the original calorie budgets it shows are the ones set for someone my size trying to lose weight.

I knew I was eating less since my surgery but the amount less was nothing short of shocking to me





2 comments:

  1. I started using a tracker recently for nutrition data and was amazed to see that I was only getting 1500 to 1700 a day. I've increased to 2000 to 2200 while dropping all grains and processed foods and I've still lost twelve pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 2 weeks pre surgery and using My Fitness Pal to track my liquids and protein. Yesterday I burned more exercising than I took in. It's all so interesting when you really pay attention to what you are putting into your body! Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete