Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Progressing toward 5K goals

I have officially started running/walking/wogging again. About a year or more ago I started a Couch to 5K program to try and get to a point where I could jog a 5K race.  I eventually achieved a VERY slow run combined with some walking and could complete a 5K in right at an hour.  I really had in my head that I wanted to be able to run the whole thing but at in excess of 250lbs it didn't really happen.  My sister coined the term "wogging" as a combination of walking and jogging.  My brother says it was really waddling... Now that I am cleared to do as much as I want physically, I am again pursuing running.  I started with walking and then in recent weeks have added more slow running.  I am trying to walk nearly every day for at least 30 minutes not really worrying about speed or distance.  Then on Saturday for the last 3 weeks I have done a 5K distance (3.2 miles) as fast as I could.  Last week I got under 50 minutes which was a personal best so I am pretty happy calling that progress.

When I was working on this last time I did the Holiday 5K in Portland Oregon with my brother (the same one who made the waddling comment).   He finished at a faster time that me even though I was the one who was training.  Though I put on a happy face at the time,  I was really a little disappointed that I hadn't beaten him.  This weekend is my chance to redeem myself, even if in my own eyes.  He is running in the St. Patrick's day run in Portland.  I will not be there, but plan to start running my own personal run at the same time he is running.  Kind of running along virtually.  I will be using a time and distance application on my phone to see how fast I complete the 5K.  I hope this time my time will be better than his or at least better than my own best.

I will keep you posted. 

1 comment:

  1. What's up it's me, I am also visiting this web page daily,
    this website is genuinely good and the users are in fact sharing fastidious thoughts.


    Also visit my web-site wow talent calculator

    ReplyDelete