Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cooking weekends

Prior to my weight loss surgery I used to cook all day on Sunday.  Making things that would be in our fridge for the coming week.  That way my family and I would have yummy things to eat that were ready for us when we were ready to eat.  Then I would post on facebook a list and sometimes pictures of what I had cooked over the weekend.

After my surgery I quit cooking.  I just did not find that I had any desire to do it.  I have been mostly eating things like sliced cheese, sliced lunch meat, hummus with cucumber chips, protein drinks, hamburger patties, salmon, yogurt, and various combinations of the above examples for most meals, most days.

Last weekend my brother came to visit and to have lunch with me.  I asked him what he was hungry for that I could make him and he said anything wound be fine. I remembered that I had wanted to try the Chicken Parmigiana recipe that I had read on the Pioneer Woman website and made it for him.


http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/10/chicken-parmigiana/

This got me inspired to do some more cooking.  So next I made homemade macaroni and cheese and roasted kielbasa with bbq sauce. Then chicken enchiladas casserole.

This weekend I started thinking about things I could make that I could easily put in my lunch. Since I focus mainly on eating protein and needing things that are easy to eat in small portions of on the go I thought about things that would be party finger food.  I made a high protein guacamole using avacados and fat free greek yogurt.  Next I made unstuffed deviled eggs. I made the filling and put it in a container then put the whites in a separate container so I can fill them as I want them, keeps them from getting spilled in my lunch bag like they would if I pre filled them.

Finally I put chicken cacciatore in the crockpot.

It feels good to be planning food and cooking again. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully it will also help me get more variety in my diet, was getting kind of tired of cold cuts and cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts, Melena. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete